Highs and lows

 I was feeling really low today. My head hurt, my back hurt. I just wanted to go away somewhere. V came by, kept company for a bit and went on home.

I didn't want to be alone so I went to Vashi. I always forget how soothing it is to be around my father. We went to Ikea but they have a double-vaccination rule and I am not vaccinated. So we turned back. I'd taken coconut macaroons, puffs, and plum cake from the Iyengar Bakery at Vashi. I love their stuff, especially the coconut macaroons and their milk bread. So yummy and dense and soft. Papa made tea with lemon grass and it was perfect as usual.

During lockdown, once when I was working, Papa asked me how much milk I like in my tea or coffee. I told him that the beverage should be the colour of wet sand. And he seemed tickled by that and then attacked it like an engineering problem. I saw him keenly measuring water, milk, temperature, the brewing time for different types of tea leaves, etc. And everytime he would ask me if it was okay. I'd reply that it was perfect (and it always was). Then he'd ask me whether it was closer to the 'wet sand' brief than the previous cup of tea. To be honest, I started feeling the pressure of assessing chai with such precision. 

But there it was.

After that tea and naashta, I slept for two hours. It was luscious and nourishing and so peaceful.

Then woke up, said goodbye to my father, and returned to Bandra.


Comments