Fridaying

 


Day began really early with gentle bursting of a sweet dream. I felt a light draft in the room, thought I had shifted to a  house in Matheran (a progression in my dream) and woke up. It was a beautiful morning. The early light sang its way into my room and the treetops looked soothed and well. 

I brewed some hot water for tea and then got a few pings regarding work submissions. Felt a natural surge of irritation but I have decided to be sweet to people. So I curtailed that instinct. Responded like a good humane person, recognizing that everyone else was also up early waiting to begin their day. It's a nice kind of reassurance, that everyone is pretty much in 'it' together. 

Attended calls. Mailed stuff. Had to meet a colleague this evening. Sent her a message, giving her my address. I had half-expected her to bail because she is always so busy. But she confirmed plans. 

Now the thing to tackle was the core work itself. And there was a humungous chunk of it to get through. I did that so rapidly, it amazed me! I think, after a long time, I was looking forward to doing something social with someone from work. It felt exciting!

Anyway, got done. Got dressed. Am wearing my lavender dress from Bhane. It's in a shiny, delicate material that I find very pretty and versatile. 

My friend is late. So I walk into a cafe with mellow lights, some 80s music playing. I ask for a glass of kombucha. Settle down, right smack in the middle of the cafe in front of the pastry display. A carefully sculpted chocolate torte beckons with toppings of strawberry slivers. 

A little girl walks in holding a man's hand. The little girl looks at me. I smile. She looks away. 

My kombucha comes. Cold, tart, and the color of the joy we have tried to distill from whatever this year has put us through. 

My friend is at BKC. I hear the honking in the background when I talk to her. Nothing changes. 

But the slowly melting ice-cubes in my glass of kombucha remind me otherwise.

It changes. It all changes.





Comments