Next is what?

It's around 8:30 pm and the day is pretty much done. I am closing out a 3 month engagement with a client and today I returned the laptop that I never used. I had asked for a replacement because mine had stopped working and no service or repair shops were open due to the lockdown. My keyboard was conked off actually. But just before I got the office laptop, I got mine repaired from a partially open store in Vashi plaza. The repair guy took me in through the backdoor, shutters were lowered, and I felt I was engaging in something illicit.

He told me we had to work quickly because the cops could come anytime soon. I conjured up an appropriate background score and tried to imagine that I needed my comp for matters of grave importance and not because I couldn't finish a content outline for a client who seemed to have lost all interest and disappeared.

My laptop was repaired and no cop came. I saw one take a stool outside and eat samosa after lowering his mask. But he seemed more keen to avoid attention than bust someone. I don't blame him. Maybe he didn't want to share his samosa. The repair guy handed me my lappie. I asked him if now my computer keyboard would work fine without problems. He said, "Corona ka time hai, madam. Aise time mein aap guarantee maang rahin hain?" (During the time of Corona, you want guarantees?) I didn't hear a background score but a suitable thought-provoking Instagram image did appear in my mind. Complete with a green pond, lots of lily pads, and blush pink blooming flowers.

I paid up and left.

The samosa shop was closed.


Comments