A Saturday Night

 Today Papa left for Vashi with my brother. He looked quite happy and excited to go. Wore his grey hoodie with some enthusiasm, grabbed his book and diary, and cheerfully told me goodbye. 

I went to check his room to see if he'd left anything behind (and he usually does). There was nothing. I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. I don't have kids and can't really imagine what an empty nest may feel like. But it feels like that with him gone. Like my child has grown up and gone somewhere. My father is usually a quiet, peaceful presence. I wouldn't even notice him if it weren't for those infernal videos on YouTube that he watches on full volume. But when he is not there, his not being there feels rather gaping.

Later in the evening, my friend P came over. It was so much fun! We chatted, had dinner, shared a Diet Coke and a can of non-alcoholic beer. It was so nice and wholesome!

I cherish company like this. 

Had read this line somewhere. I think it was by Iris Murdoch. "One of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats, and if some of these can be inexpensive and quickly procured so much the better."

I liI lived that way today.



Comments