Slightly silver

 In the extended season of fatigue that is my life, something nice happened. And I wanted to write this down before I crashed or devolved into the state I've been in.

I returned home from Vashi close to midnight. My key got stuck in the lock. And I got locked out of the door. There was fervent banging, pounding, abusing, and cajoling the said door, key, and lock. I even rang the bell in the weird hope that maybe my house was haunted and the ghost would open the door from inside to let me in. Either my house is not haunted or it is a very lazy, unhelpful ghost. 

Anyhoo, I found this number of Rafik the locksmith. I am sharing his number because he is available 24*7 and services Bandra and a few areas around it. Apparently, I have some kind of a digital lock or a digital key or whatever the shit this is - it is supposed to be safer than other types of locks and keys and therefore more inconvenient if you get stuck outside. 

Rafik is responsive and if you are in Bandra and are likely to find yourself in my kind of situation, here's his number: 09324439382. This is a recommendation that comes from a very grateful and relieved heart. To be stuck out of your home at midnight with a full bladder and nowhere to go...let's just say I have prayed for Rafiks entry into heaven after he helped me in.

Anyway, now that that is out of the way, I was really fascinated with his work. He came with a raggedy, muddy backpack with a few weird-looking contraptions, a slew of hangers with the chords straightened out and pointed. Then he twisted stuff, listened for clicks, jangled the keys with some kind of rhythm, and the key opened. It was so mesmerizing. 

Something is wrong with my lock apparently. And it will cost a lot to get that sorted. I feel like removing the door only. I don't have anything valuable anyway. Except for some special editions of Salman Rushdie novels. But if someone is interested in getting those, he or she is a kindred spirit anyway. We just might get along.

It was a good night overall. The neighbor uncle who stayed with me right until the end, until Rafik had finished his work...there's goodness in the world yet. The cold heart just may thaw yet.

But blaargh! Monday! I'm not getting out of bed.


Comments