Bandstand, pani puri, and the love affair between the moon and the sea

 Things have been a little rough since the last two days. I have been dealing with a fair amount of churn and guilt. And when things start getting nauseatingly bad is when I connect with V. If nothing else, he talks extensively about Tandav and that oddly is a stress buster.

Anyway, the other day I picked him up and we went to Bandstand. There we were at our usual little coffee and snack tuck shop. V was telling me an interesting story about the huts near the sea. A beautiful dog was moving around here and there. The cafe people were shooing him away but they were doing it with so much affection that it was almost like an invitation for the dog. Still...he seemed lost. Not wholly agitated though. (But I hope he reached wherever he had to.)

Anyway, after that, V and I were sitting on the promenade itself. It was cold. Really cold. (V told me today that yesterday was the coldest day in Bombay so far). The moon was high, almost perfectly full, dripping with pearly light and glow. The sea was rich, luscious, dark. We noticed, as always, people going into the water following a narrow rocky strip. Even further into the distance, there were boats and strings of blinking lights. V told me that those boats are there to guide the other boats in. 

I had started shivering by then. So I had a hot cup of Boost the wandering vendors sell. V and I were silent, just looking about. The moon was riding higher. 

Then V told me to notice the sea closely. Especially around a boy with a backpack who was earlier sitting on a rock by himself. But now had stood up and was looking for a way to get out. 

The tide was high now and the water had started coming in. Slowly, steadily, silently. The boy finally made his way out. It must have been scary. There you are, sitting on a firm piece of the earth believing that you are safe. And without any warning or drama, without any crashing waves or anything, the sea was reasserting it's dominion, changing the world around you, making you the misfit.

It was beautiful. I looked up. The moon was slowly drifting higher and the tide was rising as well. The moon seemed to be gently pulling in the water. I do realise that there are scientific explanations for this. But it looked and felt like an art of seduction. Between two elements that are as coveted as they are hard to attain.

Then it got too cold for comfort, so V and I decided to head back. On the way, I had a plate of pani puri. It was quite tasty.

The day ended well. 

Comments