Chatterly

It was a good walk this evening. I was listening to some really peppy, cheery music. I was listening to Taylor Swift after maybe 10 years! A song called 'Me'. She had once sung that on the Graham Norton show. I just love Graham Norton! He really is the finest chat show host in my opinion... Anyway Swift was wearing this lush, plum-purple fringe dress that was so gorgeous! And because I loved the dress, I loved the song. 

I did some work today. It was okay. A lot of calls. But they were good. Both calls were kind of collaboration calls which is so refreshing. I like that... Usually I am an individual contributor in a project and since my vibe is usually to not engage with more than 3 interactions a week, I work on my ideas on my own. But I like collaborating on ideas... It was my goal that this stint in my freelance career, I would work with new people...people who didn't know anything about me. I finished a couple of gigs with strangers. They were interesting. And now it's a bit of a mixed bag. Let's see how it goes. 

It is so strange, the kind of random visuals that come to your mind when you are talking to someone on the phone. Like one of my clients was giving feedback on some mailer I had done. I just had a thought that he has a collection of antique taps - some porcelain, some copper, some beautiful frosted crystal.

Another person I was talking to...I imagined that he had his first heartbreak when he was seven. I had this image that he was a little boy and had taken a rose to this girl's house and she took his rose, ruffled his hair, sat on her boyfriend's bike and rode away.

A lady I spoke with...I had the image of her embroidering a large bedspread during the pandemic. And as the threads in the embroidery start adding pulse and vitality to the design, she starts seeing the future. This is what makes her a great sales person.

Another guy I chatted with...I got the feeling that he has a sweet, little girl who thinks the world of him. And every monsoon season, with the first rain, he takes her to a lake where he teaches her to swim. 

I think I just want to work with new clients so I can hear different voices and imagine different things about them. Maybe someday when I retire from all this, I will send them all a postcard telling them this. "Dear client, This is a postcard from my imagination. Thank you for the work, of course, but also the very first greeting. As the words of the song go, "...the first time we said hello, began our last goodbye.'

I am sleepy now.





Comments