Resuming regular programming


I sit in a café
The fairy lights aren’t lit
The tea is bitter
And the skies are hiccupping rain
There’s a song that you may have liked
There are trinkets you’d have made fun of
There’s a girl you’d have smiled at
There’s a mess on the table you’d have wiped away.
Today we did this thing at home
With fire, rice, ghee, and sweets
To help you on your onward journey
Your family was there
They were sad yet happy
They remembered you fondly
Three of them gave a speech
Then they left
We though are still here
In different islands of coping
I resist the temptation of listening
To your voice that I recorded by mistake
But I’ll listen to it in time
Maybe when the fairy lights are lit
Maybe by a lake at dawn
And then we’ll talk, the way we used to, just us…
Then you tell me okay? What’s up with you, mom?



Comments