Days 13, 14, and 15 of 14,600

I am going to write a quick post here because I am in the middle of work and I have to get started on something. I had lots of ideas that I wanted to write about. I will pick one for now.

I have been freelancing for a while now. And sometimes, I work with experienced freelancers. Some of these people I have worked with in the past. In fact, some were my seniors. They trained me. And now, when I see their work, I can't imagine that I ever thought they were stellar. The work is stodgy, jaded, routine, with no application of anything fresh. It is very disappointing and disturbing. But it has led me to consider my own work.

Now, I don't know. To me, in the field that I work in, a person is good is you cannot guess what his or her last two or three projects or assignments were. But when I see the work of a few of my friends or really experienced people, you can totally tell what their last few assignments were - what kind of domain they had worked in. The styles are the same. You can predict where the gaps will be, etc.

I think about how this is such a bullet to dodge - to have a signature, yet not feel stale or stereotypical. Sometimes, I notice that creeping into my work too. Of course, as an outsider, it is always easier to detect that in other people.

Of course, experience is very valuable. But it helps if you can use the experience to do the routine things quickly and free up your mind and heart to think of something new, something fresh, something else, and hopefully something better.

I wonder how I can avoid this pitfall. So far, I have some thoughts that I will write about.

Five things I have enjoyed:
1. The rice and veggie strips bowl at KFC. They have improved radically!
2. I jog in the complex close to midnight. There is one spot where the air is very, very fragrant. I can't spot any flowers around. But the scent is heavy. Intrigue!
3. There is a poha dish that my friend taught me - you mix it with curd, little milk, very little salt, chilli powder if you fancy, and a peanut-chilli-coconut powder (or pudi - as it is called here.) No need to cook it. Very tasty and a very quick snack.
4. There is a fruit beer (some malt) in Pizza Hut. Quite nice - not too sweet and refreshing. It gets really dry here and the throat actually gets parched. That's a good, fresh drink to have, even if it is aerated.
5. Shark Tank. I. love. it




Comments

Anonymous said…
Is there any examples of your work (freelance Writing) online where one can get an idea what you write?