Day 3 of 14,600

Karavaan is an excellent film. I loved it! Dulquer Salmaan is so very good!

There is a scene where Irrfan Khan (is that how his name is spelt? Too lazy to google) is watching a bunch of people smoke, drink and splash around in the pool. He's a conservative guy and he's overall very disappointed with humanity as he sees them do things that he would never do. He's talking to a musician (for the wedding) and he asks (loosely translated), "I don't know what sadness these people are experiencing that they need so much to feel a little joy!" The way he says it is gold!

Sometimes I feel the same way when I see people so enthusiastic about going to new places, travelling, etc. What do they so desperately want to escape from? I don't know. Maybe same reason why I want to go and live in different cities - almost like starting from scratch but with no real guarantee of a return. Maybe that's why I never really fancied travel so much. It feels like a cop out. You want to get away - go and live there. Scout for a house. Argue with the rick guys. Haggle with the local help. And do it so that you can be part of them. Not coast around, have pina coladas and come back.

I guess travel for me is like skirting around commitment to living. Actually, in a way, any form of distraction where you are not fully in the present moment (for me it's Netflix, coffee, or general roaming around streets) is not being committed to living. LIVING. (in capital letters.)

Hmm. Wow! That is quite judgmental.

Moving on to something that is not judgmental - a new dish that my friend prepared for me.

For Navaratri, I am on this fast where I do not eat grains. There is this thing that my friend made called cauliflower rice. She grated the cauliflower so that they were really tiny (the usual consequence of grating, I suppose - I was thrilled to see it, though) and then soaked them in salted water. Then she rinsed them. Heated some ghee in a pan and sauteed them with salt, pepper, and then garnished with curry leaves. I loved it. Now, I am not really a purist so I don't even know if cauliflowers are allowed. But it's a very super dish and if you're looking for an alternative to rice, this is great. If you are really particular about the calorific aspect of it, then you can skip the sautee in ghee or butter and simply steam it and eat. Of course, if you don't like the smell of cauliflower, it's an issue. I happen to love it.

Some very interesting dishes are being cooked here. Will write about them some other day.

Comments

alok said…
Good observation n great write up