Skip to main content

612, 611, 610, 609, 608: When life's good, it may hand you a lemon

I was very sleepy yesterday. It was compounded by the fact that I had very little to do and the whole day to do it. So I procrastinated. So much so that even my procrastination procrastinated. It kicked in later in the day towards tea time. Then I just felt like leaving for home without doing a lick of work. THEN I felt guilty because well, I get paid to do good work. And if good work is not possible, then SOME work - which is what I set my benchmark as. By that time, my eyes were almost shutting so I went over to Nature's Basket because I wanted to look at wine bottles. They seem to rejuvenate me somehow or get some shot of cold-pressed vegetable juices that are supposed to be good for you.

Once I was there, I thought it was no point trying to fool myself so I just reached for two cans of Red Bull instead. Also got a packet of instant Ramen that looked funky and stupid, therefore appealing, to my tired eyes.

Anyway, I paid up with my Sodexo coupons - which is the best part of buying anything from Nature's Baasket. You can pay with Sodexos and it doesn't feel like you're spending money.

The hitch, though, is that you don't get your change back.

I was just tearing up my Sodexos (from the coupon booklet) when a man came and stood behind me. I got nervous. I get nervous when there's a line behind me as I tear stubborn bits of paper from perforated sections. Anyway, I tore up maybe five rupees worth more than the coupon and handed it over to the cashier. He told me I wouldn't be getting back any change and I said okay.

As I moved away, the cashier said I could take a lemon. Maybe that's the only thing they had worth five rupees. A lemon. I picked one that was bright yellow and cheery with a cute, knobbly skin.

Came back, glugged my Red Bull, and finished work.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Impressions: How to Get Away with Murder (Netflix)

 I love courtroom dramas.  I love non-linear storytelling. I love thrillers. I love tender love stories that embellish such series of grit, grime, and blood. This series delivers on all counts, dips somewhat after a couple of seasons, gets uneven and predictable (when it is less courtroom and more drama) and then finishes strong. The series centers around Annalise Keating who is a fierce, black criminal lawyer who also teaches a class in criminal law (which she calls 'How to Get Away with Murder'). As a teaching methodology, she gets her class to weigh in on her live cases. Part of her strategy also involves picking a handful of promising students and have them work in her 'lab' where they get to help her in strenuous arguments and civil suits, etc. The plot thickens, a murder happens, people get involved, incriminated, incarcerated, and dead. I found a couple of characters in this cast to be really unlikeable - Michaela, Laurel, and Bonnie. After the first couple of se

That kind of a day, that kind of a thought

 It was Eid and Ekadashi today. Thus far, I have managed to keep the fast for Ekadashi. But we still have 2 hours to go so...let's see. I had this urge to go to a temple. There is a small one near my house. Today it was filled with people singing keertans. So I went to the  Iskcon. I like the temple. It's so big and bustling. It's organised and musical.  But today was very crowded. Usually I go to temples and do a quick pranaam without offering flowers or fruits. But I felt like buying a thali. I got one with some fruits, tulsi leaves and a single marigold flower that lay there like a fully energized petaled sun. There was a long queue and I was already feeling stressed in the pit of my stomach. But the line kept moving and just like that, I had my darshan and I got done.  I came out and thought of getting a flower for the pooja room in my home. I bought a lotus. The florist fluffed out the petals and it looked like a sweet little bird.  I caught an auto back and as is my n

A very bad mood

 I have been trying to sleep for a while but have not been able to. I am in a very bad mood. Turns out I am very averse to change. Things are crap.  Deep breaths are not helping. I am feeling very trapped. The anger and irritation is quite intense. Let me take a few moments to just quietly watch myself.  Works