Strange little walk

The last few days there have been lots of cops in Bandstand, especially around Mount Mary's. Today there were two cops choosing candles at a shop. I spent some time there and then walked down the slope where I usually gawk at pretty balconies, all dressed up for Diwali.

I was just ambling along and two cops on a bike pulled up near me. I don't think they were the same cops I had seen at the Basilica. One of them asked me why I was walking and whether I had a problem. I told him the weather was good and I usually go to the Basilica twice or thrice a week. (I was surprised at the 'Do you have a problem question', though. It wasn't late at all.) The cop then said that I looked like my foot was hurt. He asked me if I needed an auto. It actually is a little difficult to get an auto from there at times. So I said yes, even though I really could have walked down to the main road. He then hailed me one and asked me if I had cash to get home. I found that quite sweet. I said yes and sat in the auto.

The auto guy kept looking at me through the mirror with some anxiety. There's a lot of surveillance happening in Bandra, especially around Bandstand, so I can't say I blame him. 

He asked me why the cops were talking to me. I told him. He didn't seem to believe the story. But he didn't press the matter further. We drove in uncomfortable silence, and the drive to my place just seemed so long. 

Finally we reached and I gave him the money. Just before he turned up his meter again, he asked me, "Woh log acche the?" (They were good people?) I nodded, quite understanding his incredulity. 

So that was that.


Comments