Strange day

 It has been feeling very weird since yesterday. A friend came over last night and we did a little yoga together. He is a lot younger and quite flexible, actually. But I don't think he liked it too much. I suppose if one has been into athletics and stuff like that, this stretching and holding a pose, etc. might not be exciting. Or, more accurately, I wasn't a good teacher.

I had curd rice last night. It is so beautiful, that dish. That and potatoes chopped fine and fried crisp. My cook had made sabudana khichdi yesterday too. I didn't have it but my friend had it and the other cleaning lady. They seemed to like it. 

My cleaning lady is now a grandmother. She had gotten married when she was 14. So now she already has 2 grandkids. The second one was born a week ago. This lady really is not good with her mobile phone. It's always out of charge or she doesn't recognise her ringtone so it keeps buzzing without her attending to it. And she doesn't quite know what to do with the phone. One day she told me that her family is at home so everyone she ever wants to talk to is in one place  She always reaches places on time so she doesn't have to call to inform people that she will be late...so why does she need one? I thought that was quite a persuasive argument. But I wanted to see pictures of the grandson so she sent that across. He is one little cookie. So cute and bald with eyes as large and black as the galaxy! He was sticking out his tiny tongue. I asked her what his name was and she said that she didn't remember. Then while dusting, she thought long and hard and said, "Dhyanchand". Then she said that that wasn't correct. She continued to mull over tea and then said, "Vihaan". Then very sorrowfully explained that her daughter and son-in-law had kept this modern name and the grannies on both sides of the family were having a hard time remembering it. "What was wrong with Yogesh or Harish?" I commiserated with her. I was confused, though, how she got Dhyaanchand in the mix. 

I don't feel good today. I have a lot of work and I need to get started. But I am not liking anything today.

Still, gotta be grateful for the small mercies - pretty home, wi-fi, nice cup of tea, and some struggle to lend a purpose to the day.

Comments