Getting out of Bandra and other tidbits

 A friend was free and we decided to go to Granth in Juhu. Now Juhu is not really that far from Bandra but I cannot explain the relief I felt. I think I have been in the house or just going around this neighborhood for so long that some kind of weird uneasiness was gripping my mind about traveling to a different suburb.

It was so lusciously rich to be in a bookstore. There's a line by Voltaire where he says, "Some thoughts are like prayers. No matter what the position of the body, the soul is on its knees." I felt that...that complete absolute gratitude of something so pure as a place that houses books. Okay, so they are for sale...still.

I bought a book and we decided to walk towards Juhu beach. It was so bizarre and awful! The sea was mighty and plush with roar and tide. The strip of adjacent beach was empty. There were long stretches of large, thick ropes separating throngs of crowd from getting onto the beach. Cops with large sticks and walkie-talkies were pushing back an adoring and slightly desperate crowd! It seemed as if the sea was a rockstar! 

Well, I suppose that is in order. 

When nature becomes scarce, it will be celebrated like a celebrity. And just like a celebrity, she will ignore us, put on her shades, get into her glitzy car, and drive off without so much as a wave. We stand along papping her - losing time, life, dignity.

Nature exits as mother. Returns as diva. And exits again. 

My friend and I returned and he made tea. It was quite exceptional.it was really, really good! First I felt bad that I was not making tea for a guest. (I didn't feel all that bad. I mean, it was the kitchen, after all. Not my favorite place.) But after I tasted the tea, I felt bad for whatever I was serving him earlier. Maybe that's why he insisted that he make it. (Come to think of it, yesterday V had insisted that he make coffee.) Yeah well...what can I say? It suits me just fine. But I feel bad for these guys. They come to visit and they have to do the work also. 

I wish I cared enough to want to improve. He he!

Father and brother were supposed to call today. Neither did. Not surprised. 

Spoke to A. Spoke to So in Bangalore and we talked in length about our long-term friendship with procrastination. Spoke to J.

Hmm. I do have a few friends despite how I make tea and coffee.  That must count for something.


Comments