What goes around...

 When I was a teenager, I had this burning desire to be left alone by family and friends. But mainly family because I didn't have a big social circle anyway. My father wouldn't let me be though. He was very protective. He would always want to have a meal with me at home (while I preferred to eat alone - a trait I still have) or pick me up from college or drop me to my office (when I got a job). I used to hate it. It had caused a lot of tension between Papa and me. For a good few months, I wasn't talking to Papa. I would write letters if I had to communicate with him. He would try to speak to me. But Ma would advise him otherwise. So he would write to me in return. 

Since college, I had always wanted to be out of my father's care. Not shadow. But his care. I honestly thought I would not amount to anything much if I let my father take care for me. My mom heartily agreed. She understood me to be the lazy, spoilt, opportunistic character I was deep down and knew that it was good if I didn't rely on Papa to always come to my rescue.

Now, of course, it has been many years. Life has changed so much. Today Papa said that he would go to the garage and check the car batteries. I immediately got up and told him that I would take him. He asked me if it was necessary that I go with him. He mentioned quietly that my brother would let him go by himself. Well, my brother wasn't around and the parking lot can be dingy and people can lose balance and fall. Papa stubbornly refused to let me come with him. I didn't let up either. Then he handed over the keys and said he would go later. While retreating to his room, he said that I was being way too unnecessarily protective. This way he would never get to do anything much.

Full circle, anyone? 


Comments