A day and 'The haunting of Hill House'

 Shifted stuff to Bandra. Will move there after brother returns.

Finished watching Haunting on Hill House. Enjoyed it a fair bit. I loved the exploration of individual and familial dysfunctions. But...I didn't find the premise all that original. Maybe...this theme that when you die, when you leave the physical realm, is when you are really awake is a theme in Hindu scriptures... something that I have grown up reading about. And a non-linear time and therefore a non-linear life as 'real' existence is also a fairly well-used trope. But the writing, the cast, the execution of past and present fusing together... that's something special.

I think my main issue was with the mother in the movie. I found her to be the weakest link. Too artificial, I found. My favourite performance was that of Mr.Dudley, the housekeeper. He only speaks at length maybe twice in the whole series...but the first time he does that in the basement, when he talks about his still-born... it's gut-wrenching that this man is poor, stoic, noble...the kind of man who will take the high road because that's the faith he follows. I really liked him and his wife.

As for the house itself, it was okay...but...I mean, I just felt that something was missing overall. I texted a friend (who is a huge fan of Kubrick and I am not at all) but...the way Kubrick showed the Overlook hotel in the Shining...now THAT's showing a house with menace. The Hill House looked a little like the slightly opulent houses in Panchgani...which are all quite creepy if you have gone for a walk along those lonely lanes and there are these huge houses on the side...quiet, dark, obscured by foliage...but you can sense a sigh as you pass along. 

But...the depiction of dysfunction in a family as a reason for its its closeness was very well written. Nells and Luke's relationship was so tender.

Glad I gave it a go. 


Comments