252 of 15,400

Really tired today. A quick low-down of the stuff I have enjoyed.

1. Lion king. Rather the experience of going for the 3D version of Lion King with my father and brother after mummy's...(I can't bring myself to write the D word yet.) It's the first time ever in life. My father and I were not too impressed by the story. My brother however seemed to like it a lot.

2. Get Out on Netflix. What a marvelous movie! And that man - the black guy! He is so so handsome and what a performance! When he gets hypnotized for the very first time... that's just stellar.

3. Bridesmaids on Netflix. I really liked it. I didn't find it as funny as what the reviews had made it out to be. But there was a scene that really moved me. This lady is in a casual relationship with a man who doesn't treat her well. She's losing her best friend to another lady in high society. Her job is in shambles, etc. She carries the burden of a failed bakery business. Her ex left her when the business tanked. She has stopped baking since. She meets a cop who likes her. He makes her feel good. Then one night she comes home after a rough day and bakes one perfect cupcake for herself. She decorates it with these flower and leaf trimmings that she cuts out intricately. She makes some kind of an elaborate design with whipped cream, hand makes sprinkles and toppings, and puts the whole cupcake mold with only one slot filled in. After it's baked, she gets out the cake and eats it.

I absolutely loved that scene. She didn't bake a whole batch to turn her life around. She baked one. Her life didn't transform immediately after. It took it's time. But as she ate that one perfect cupcake by herself in an empty house, she stood straighter. And you could tell that the seed of self-worth has been planted.

Both Get Out and Bridesmaids are different genres. But the lead characters in both stories have to convey a subtle but pronounced transformation. It's really really amazing! I wonder what must it take for an actor to get that...what happens internally? What is the briefing you get? "Your subconscious now breaks open and you're no longer cool. You are a 7 year old helpless boy." Or "By the time you finish this cake, you become someone who will not settle for less." How do you then break this down into behavior and actually SHOW a personal journey? I think you really need to be a keen meditative human being to be a good actor. I would love to talk to an actor about the method.



Comments