Bringing forth

When you were growing inside of me,
All the hibiscuses tuned gold,
The silver stream in our backyard,
Was where all our stories were told.

You ate what I was eating,
You thrilled in the songs I heard,
And with the liquid-music you lived in,
I felt you flutter like a water-bird.

One hot day, you came out,
All bold and red and crying,
And while you felt tight with life,
Our sweet little stream was drying.

Days passed on and I sketched for you
The happy silver stream
You loved it all so much but you
Didn't think it was more than a dream.

And then one day, as I painted
Some silver lines again,
The skies had turned plump and kind,
And then it started to rain.

When you no longer grew inside of me,
And we painted as two, as us,
You reached out on your own and
Painted me a gilded hibiscus.

Comments