Skip to main content

A farewell of my colour



Deep in the visceral hollow of Yucatan, the sky turned cinnamon. Marshy waters and placid lakes stirred restlessly. High, wild reeds swayed in a wind that was undecided about whither it should blow. And watching this tranquil disquiet was Rupert, a stunning, white heron.

Rupert was handsome yet lonely. He glided like a fragrance. You could see a trail of silky heron flaps when he flew across the sky. He flew perfectly and he flew alone.

One evening, he was hopping around in a lake to see if the water cockled the same way every single time. It soothed that raging emptiness inside him – the routines of ripples. And then…and then….

He saw Shamin, that blazing pink Chilean flamingo. Suddenly, the marshy clot of Yucatan, that had hitherto floated blandly through the world, peeled its final scab and became raw. Shamin had no business being there. Shamin belonged to that bird-world of grotesque openness; where wings pierced through clouds and blotted suns and tore the skies savagely.

Yet, Rupert fell in love. He could see himself flying with a dark pink bolt of thunder.

Shamin, too, was fascinated with Rupert. She’d seen a simple panel on her wall of stained glass. And she was tempted – in a way chocolate probably gets tempted to taste vanilla. She swooped across, in her stark pink grandeur, enveloped that body of white satin, and kissed him; and Rupert’s white feathers were stained with Shamin’s kiss. His feathers were now the color of a crimson that felt shy, of a scarlet that got subdued, of a red that got silent. His feathers were now that shade of pink.

And that’s the shade of pink of the roses and carnations I bought last night; the last bunch of flowers I’d buy from Mumbai before I left it in a couple of days.

The florist wrapped up my drops of fantasy in sepia-hued newspaper, and I carried my beautiful goodbye in full bloom.

That is the color of my farewell – a flamingo’s kiss and a heron’s blush.



Comments

Nagesh Pai said…
The scarlet pinks of Mumbai will illuminate your entire flight path till your new destination where you will shine with twice the lustre!

God Bless you once again!

You reminded me of Jon Livingstons Seagull. This story has some coincidence with my day today ;-)

Cheers
Nag
Anonymous said…
Excellent , now i know that you leaving town from your post!!

A mad at you - Rajesh
I need details woman
TB said…
where you relocating to, miss?
Mukta Raut said…
hI nAGESH,

Thanks for the good wishes. I'll definitely need them. And do tell all about the mystery lady you met.

:-)

Amit - you! YOU! YOU!

Hmmph! You don't keep in touch and you have the gall to tell me that I don't keep in touch. Really! Anyway, please gimme ur email id. Mine is: mukta.raut@gmail.com

Do write in.

Hi tablemannered,

I am moving to Pune.
Anonymous said…
Wow .. Pune! :-)
Moving to 'my' town are you! A warm welcome and best of luck Mukta, sadly though I dont live there for now :-(
R. said…
Hey there little bird..Happy flying. May the new dawn bring you adventures untold, friends unknown and a life fulfilled..

Popular posts from this blog

First Impressions: How to Get Away with Murder (Netflix)

 I love courtroom dramas.  I love non-linear storytelling. I love thrillers. I love tender love stories that embellish such series of grit, grime, and blood. This series delivers on all counts, dips somewhat after a couple of seasons, gets uneven and predictable (when it is less courtroom and more drama) and then finishes strong. The series centers around Annalise Keating who is a fierce, black criminal lawyer who also teaches a class in criminal law (which she calls 'How to Get Away with Murder'). As a teaching methodology, she gets her class to weigh in on her live cases. Part of her strategy also involves picking a handful of promising students and have them work in her 'lab' where they get to help her in strenuous arguments and civil suits, etc. The plot thickens, a murder happens, people get involved, incriminated, incarcerated, and dead. I found a couple of characters in this cast to be really unlikeable - Michaela, Laurel, and Bonnie. After the first couple of se

That kind of a day, that kind of a thought

 It was Eid and Ekadashi today. Thus far, I have managed to keep the fast for Ekadashi. But we still have 2 hours to go so...let's see. I had this urge to go to a temple. There is a small one near my house. Today it was filled with people singing keertans. So I went to the  Iskcon. I like the temple. It's so big and bustling. It's organised and musical.  But today was very crowded. Usually I go to temples and do a quick pranaam without offering flowers or fruits. But I felt like buying a thali. I got one with some fruits, tulsi leaves and a single marigold flower that lay there like a fully energized petaled sun. There was a long queue and I was already feeling stressed in the pit of my stomach. But the line kept moving and just like that, I had my darshan and I got done.  I came out and thought of getting a flower for the pooja room in my home. I bought a lotus. The florist fluffed out the petals and it looked like a sweet little bird.  I caught an auto back and as is my n

A very bad mood

 I have been trying to sleep for a while but have not been able to. I am in a very bad mood. Turns out I am very averse to change. Things are crap.  Deep breaths are not helping. I am feeling very trapped. The anger and irritation is quite intense. Let me take a few moments to just quietly watch myself.  Works