On my agenda today

 IFFI is celebrating 100 years of Satyajit Ray and they are showcasing a bunch of his films. But in all these celebrations of Satyajit Ray, they usually don't show 'Devi'. This is my most favorite movies by Ray (one of my most favorites across all time). One reason could be that this was the first Ray film that I watched with Ma. I was a child then. And something about the beauty, magnetism, and charisma of Sharmila Tagore's character reminded me of Ma. For anyone who has seen the film or knows the plot, the story takes a rather disturbing turn. I used to be most upset about it but still want to watch that film over and over again. The beginning of the film, as the credits roll to the montage of a Durga face getting painted, and the end sequence when the crowd takes away their Devi...it is such suave narration. It's a wonderful movie. Personally, because of the way it makes me feel, I rank it higher than Charulata. Devi SHOULD be a necessary part of Satyajit Ray's ouevre. I will write to IFFI. (There is a scratchy version on YouTube for anyone who wants to see it. I don't know where else it is streaming. Maybe mubi or some other curated platform. But do watch it. The casting of Sharmila Tagore in the lead is the stuff that makes you believe that when it's right, it's meant to be.)

Comments