Spots of sunshine

 Today felt a little easier. I had to finish and deliver a couple of things. One was a little bit more detail-oriented than I care for - so it seemed like a little bit of drudgery. But it does leave the mind free to think of things that are more creative. So while I did some basic checking and rechecking on one thing, I thought of my next assignment which was juicy. It involved doing some research work on usability and accessibility which is a fascinating thing. I think it's nice that there is a discipline out there that is looking to include and involve people who would not otherwise have access to content or study material. I remember that in my school, if you couldn't see or hear the teacher, it was your lookout to go find another spot to sit or figure out which of the front-benchers would relay the information. The teacher herself would never consider speaking up or doing anything to improve the situation for the students. Class was in session. You were allowed to sit and listen. And you jolly well be grateful for that.

I was a front-bencher myself and I loved it. I especially liked homework. So much so that I liked doing other people's homework as well. I couldn't understand why someone would voluntarily give up spending some alone time with one's books to be with 'friends'. It made me popular with a certain set. I wasn't so fond of math or chemistry but I did enjoy English and History. The best part of doing multiple sets of homework for different people meant understanding what they were like. For example, if I had to write an essay on Summer Holidays or What Great Novels Mean to Me;, I had to understand the personality of who I was writing the essay for. I once erroneously wrote about Crime and Punishment for a girl who never read anything. Anything. We both got caught. Then I got smarter. I wrote about some stories from Tinkle or Betty and Veronica digests, persuasively pegging them to be 'novel-like' ad getting her a passing grade. Now when I think about it, I am just continuing that as an adult to earn my living. Doing someone else's homework. It's fun really.

Anyway, my friend is better but I do so want to meet her. Will plan to go to Delhi sometime soon. I wish it happens this month.  

Chatted with a couple of friends. Then went for a short walk. Didn't really walk around. Just went to a spot by the lake and sat and chatted. There was a point when the moon was covered by a gauzy coppery cloud. And I saw it through the trellis of  bougainvillea flowers. It looked stunning. Reached home and had a really bad hankering for ice-cream. I would have liked salted caramel from the new ice-cream parlour but I couldn't find it. So I went to Naturals instead. It's become big and shiny now. Got a couple of large packs of coffee-walnut and tender coconut ice-creams. I like Naturals but I will locate the new ice-cream parlour for my Salted Caramel fix. I love that flavour. Love it. When I stayed in Baner, Pune, a new frozen yogurt place opened up. I would drive down every night with a friend who stayed close-by. We'd go, get our cones, sit in the car as the shiny, happy people tumbled out from the discs and night clubs in Koregaon Park, and drive back home happy. 

Yes, salted caramel is what the heart is now seeking. 



 

Comments