Beautiful stranger

This evening I went to my friends house for coffee. Usually I rick it to her place but it was time for my walk and the weather's pretty good. So I decided to, well, walk.

I generally have to cross a busy crossroad to get to her house. Rather it was a busy crossroad before COVID. But it seems as if most people have either forgotten how to drive or are confused about what to do in case of a red light. So the crossroad is not busy now. It's practically lawless. 

Anyway, I was waiting for a few rickshaws to stop hurtling forward when across the road, I saw this very, very, VERY handsome man.

The first thing that struck me was that he was tall... 6-2 or so and his hair was very comfortably tousled - like he'd had a good run. He was standing straight but easy. He had the presence of a cheetah walking about slowly in his neck of the woods. Stealth, power, pace...but for the time being, a stroll will do. 

He was wearing a T-shirt in what seemed to be really soft material. It was in a lovely sage colour and he had French tucked into his running shorts. Broad shoulders and a jawline you'd want to sharpen your pencil to sketch. He was looking about to cross the road, I think. And just there, in the midst of noise and city traffic, he stood out like a god in sportswear. In movies, (the kind that I like), this moment would be the cue when some happy sound track would begin or everything becomes fuzzy and the spotlight shines on the character most likely to alter destinies whoever he comes into contact with. (If it's my story, then the destiny to be altered would be mine, obviously.)

I think I stopped breathing for the time I was looking at him. Gasped sharply when a stupid cyclist with a LIVE chicken almost trundled over me. (The ridiculousness of this crossroad is just another level.)

When I looked again, he was walking away. His shoulders were so squared and perfect. I imagined him enjoying rowing boats or kayaking. He seemed like an outdoorsy person but the kind who would enjoy the conveniences of packet sugar and toilet roll. 

Anyway, I was happy. I am still happy. I bet I must have looked slightly creepy with crinkly, smiling eyes buying milk and soup packets near my friends house. But it has been a while since I saw a man who left me with such a wide smile. 

Dear Universe, I was going to petition you to stop giving me bad dreams. But if this is how you intend to make up for that, I accept.

Today was possibly the happiest, most deliciously surprising 6 minutes of 2020. 

Well played, Universe. Well played. 😊😊😊

Comments