Day 78 of 14,600

Today is Saturday.

I reached Bangalore in the morning and I am typing this out in the flat that I have taken on rent. It is a one bedroom-hall-kitchen and it is really empty. The bedroom has one cupboard and the balcony is very small - to keep a washing machine maybe. But I like it.

It is close to midnight and I came in here to wipe down the place, say hello to it, and all that.  still have to arrange for bedding and other things slowly - one day at a time.

But here we are.

An unfurnished flat is so beautiful - even for someone who doesn't really have any furniture of her own right now. Would it be convenient to take on a flat with things? I don't think so. My days have been so busy with work and tending to things at home that an empty flat is really feeling like a vacation. This little sliver of peace and quiet.

Earlier I used to believe that the more you accomplish, your homes should get bigger and you should generally have more things. But since a few years now, ever since I started freelancing, I believe that success is the ability to be happy with less. Not 'make do' or 'get by' but to be happy with less. To see the joy and meaning and purpose in every little square inch of a place and every bit of cloth and every tiny cup or every glass plate.

Today is Saturday.

It is a happy day.

Comments