01, 00: Countdown ends

I had begun this countdown one tiring day at work. I had decided that, from that day, I would spend exactly these many days on the job and in Pune.

It turns out that I quit the job and left Pune much earlier.

The countdown, though, was interesting.

A friend had told me about a man called Jonathan Harris. He had started this website/ blog called www.cowbird.com. He wanted to take a picture to record each day. That was the project. I think it is like a quote by Virginia Woolfe (also told by my pal), "We marry because we don't want to live an unwitnessed life." (or we need a witness to our life - something like that.)

I wanted to write something every day so that each day of the countdown, as I was preparing for my exit from the job, Pune, and the familiarity of life that I knew it, I was still recording something. Small, beautiful, sad, ordinary, special - whatever. I was recording that.

I wanted to pay respect to the time that I had in Pune, in my job, with my colleagues and friends. Writing about each day was a way of paying respect to the hidden meaning that the hours brought.

Today the countdown ends. I live to tell the tale.

It was good. Now it is over.

Maybe for the rest of the year, I will not have a countdown. I will simply ramble and sketch out my days.

2018 - maybe I will begin a different countdown again.


Comments

DI said…
I absolutely loved this countdown. Especially on days it meant a post every day :)
I guess what made it even better was the fact that you have always written for yourself (in my opinion) and not for an audience. Something I seriously miss in a lot of blogs I have followed over years.
Look forward to more posts, sketches and countdowns! :)
Mukta Raut said…
Thank you so much!