259, 258, 257, 256, 254, 253, 252, 251, 250, 249, 248, 247, 246, 245: Happy things, quiet things

1. Have practically moved from Pune. I still have the house and my books and clothes are still there. I am sure my small mandarin oranges are ripening in the sun. But I have moved to Bombay. There is still a feeling of transition but overall, there are a few routines in place. So, it's good.

The freelance world is going well. Collaborated with a couple of good people on some interesting projects. That is good. Now, scouting for more work. What I'm finding really interesting now is a chance to be part of product development. It's a really good change of pace. It does take a lot of time and there is a lot of waiting involved and you inch very very slowly ahead. But I think there's some learning there to be had as well.

The other day I'd gone to Haji Ali with a couple of friends and it was so beautiful. The sea and the skies were a lovely minty-blue - exactly the kind I used to gaze at in one of my earlier stints as a freelancer. That specific shade of blue and that specific kind of breeze are souvenirs of the time I had spent in my earlier freelancing stint.

I have been trying to read Cal Newport's 'Deep Work' for a long time now. It's happening in fits and starts. I have a feeling that it will be one of the most important books that I will read. So hoping to clear some mental and emotional space and get on with it.

There is the demonetization of Rs.500 and Rs. 1000 to get through. Some contracts to be signed and some invoices to be shipped. Some kind of facebook behaviour to process with the rise of a phenomenon like 'Trump'. More and more as things unfold in the world, I catch myself thinking about Rushdie and how he said in one of his speeches, "What you are offended by defines who you are. If you aren't offended by anyone, who are you?"

I'd gone over to a friend's house the other day. It was a really nice evening. He made a simple quiet meal of omelette and bread. I chatted with his mum and his really gifted daughter sketched out a verse from her painting. This evening happened a few days earlier to the demonetization move. The reason I write about it now is because I often find myself thinking about what would I remember as the years go by? What will take me through? I think it will be peaceful, uncomplicated evenings like this.

I think only simplicity will save. It's the only thing that can.

Comments