Skip to main content

A day I missed

I had an off today. I didn't know what for but was later informed that it is MahaShivratri. This year, I had made some plans of fasting today and visiting the beautiful Someshwar temple near Baner. Instead, I had no clue that the day had crept up so silently. So I slept, watched some stuff on YouTube (an interview of the man who authored 'The $100 Start-up' was good), and went for yoga.

The yoga instructor, who is a really good teacher from Alaska, told the class that we are making progress. However, I don't think so. I think that there are so many postures that I can't even begin to get right. But, I suppose if I just stayed the course, things will improve.

Anyway, I walked back home after class through a beautiful, cool night. It was nearly ten o'clock by the time I got done. Some frugal rations had to be bought (end of month scenario going on at the moment). But I did spend on the last few hundreds on items that were not really necessary -like a chilled Red Bull that I wanted to enjoy in my balcony, a large packet of oats which had a delectable strawberry on it, and a few lemons. Pune's getting hotter now and sweet, chilled lime water with some pepper is quite lovely! Speaking of lovely beverages, there's a Masala Cola that served at Mast Kalandar that I love! A colleague called it 'Hajmola on fizz' as if it's a bad thing. That is exactly what it is and it's yummy!

Anyway, I got home and wanted to make something really simple. There was some daal and a beans and peas sabzi. I boiled a couple of potatoes with skin. Then I halved them, put a thick pat of butter on each half, and finished off with a screw of salt, pepper, and chaat masala. It was just so good.

A couple of friends have now moved to Gurgaon. Gurgaon, as of tonight, was enjoying scrumptious weather. Rains, fast winds, and from what my friend described, lots of chimes across the sprawling complexes going off together like some acoustic Mexican wave. Over the phone, I heard some delicious howling of the wind and splatter of rain. It made me deeply wish that Gurgaon was 3 hours from Pune.

I made some tea and here I am posting this. Day is gone but it was nice.

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
A request.. please write a few more of your cooking posts. I like them.. specially the ones which you cook yourself.
Mukta Raut said…
Hi Anon, thank you! But I cook very, very rarely and that's why those posts are so few and far between. He he! But will certainly start cooking some more and writing about them.
Anonymous said…
Okay... Still, your cookig while being simple, almost always gives ends up with a delicious food. That is why I would like to know more about what you cook.
P.S.: I also liked your dhaba stops on Delhi-Agra highway... even though I read them maybe 5 years ago.
Anonymous said…
And want to eat you also
Anonymous said…
Dear M,
The previous comment was not from me.

Popular posts from this blog

First Impressions: How to Get Away with Murder (Netflix)

 I love courtroom dramas.  I love non-linear storytelling. I love thrillers. I love tender love stories that embellish such series of grit, grime, and blood. This series delivers on all counts, dips somewhat after a couple of seasons, gets uneven and predictable (when it is less courtroom and more drama) and then finishes strong. The series centers around Annalise Keating who is a fierce, black criminal lawyer who also teaches a class in criminal law (which she calls 'How to Get Away with Murder'). As a teaching methodology, she gets her class to weigh in on her live cases. Part of her strategy also involves picking a handful of promising students and have them work in her 'lab' where they get to help her in strenuous arguments and civil suits, etc. The plot thickens, a murder happens, people get involved, incriminated, incarcerated, and dead. I found a couple of characters in this cast to be really unlikeable - Michaela, Laurel, and Bonnie. After the first couple of se

That kind of a day, that kind of a thought

 It was Eid and Ekadashi today. Thus far, I have managed to keep the fast for Ekadashi. But we still have 2 hours to go so...let's see. I had this urge to go to a temple. There is a small one near my house. Today it was filled with people singing keertans. So I went to the  Iskcon. I like the temple. It's so big and bustling. It's organised and musical.  But today was very crowded. Usually I go to temples and do a quick pranaam without offering flowers or fruits. But I felt like buying a thali. I got one with some fruits, tulsi leaves and a single marigold flower that lay there like a fully energized petaled sun. There was a long queue and I was already feeling stressed in the pit of my stomach. But the line kept moving and just like that, I had my darshan and I got done.  I came out and thought of getting a flower for the pooja room in my home. I bought a lotus. The florist fluffed out the petals and it looked like a sweet little bird.  I caught an auto back and as is my n

A very bad mood

 I have been trying to sleep for a while but have not been able to. I am in a very bad mood. Turns out I am very averse to change. Things are crap.  Deep breaths are not helping. I am feeling very trapped. The anger and irritation is quite intense. Let me take a few moments to just quietly watch myself.  Works