Skip to main content

Making breakfast

After a long, hard walk, it was time for breakfast. Usually, I don’t like cooking. But some days I can sense why cooking can be soothing. Finally, there’s an opportunity for so many senses to take part in creating something. There’s a whole catalog of sensations in each category, touch, smell, sight, sounds, that comes into play even if the meal you’re preparing is simple.

Like that morning, for example. I just wanted a bowl of cereal. So, first went in the golden-brown, crackling cornflakes. Then I chopped up strawberries. I meant to chop up only a few, but they looked so luscious, that I cut up a whole bunch of them. Strawberries are such pretty fruits! All dainty and elegant on the outside, and cheery with almost adolescent crimson cheekiness on the inside. When you take a sliver of a strawberry, the slice looks like a plump, juicy, pink and red visceral silhouette of the Grand Canyon.

After the strawberries, came the figs – all fleshy with their suave brown and green skins. Cutting through one opened up a whole new world– it’s quite mesmerizing – the thumb-print pattern of purple, pink, and brown; the rich grainy texture, the tough edges where you have to use your hands to tear off the ends.

Then peeling whole, cheery yellow bananas and splicing them thin and perfect.

Swirling a large spoon of honey. Like pouring a strain of treacly, desert sunset.

And finally a generous splash of cold, frothy, creamy milk.

That was it. Most of the food came out of cartons – except the fruits. But it felt wholesome, somehow. I suppose cooking gets to be fun because one feels so engaged. Usually, at work, the only body part that has any tactile contact are my finger-tips…when I type on a keyboard. But while cooking…it’s the whole hand. I like the feeling of juice trickling down the palm, or using both hands strongly to break open a fruit, or licking off a few drops of spilled sweet milk.

It’s like all of you went into making something that will nourish you.

My cereal bowl, though not gourmet, looked and tasted so good. So balanced, colorful, fresh, and perfect. So much like the life one wishes to live.

Comments

Ashish Shakya said…
Dammit. It's 4 a.m now and your post makes me want to eat cornflakes. I must have told you this before, but I just love the way you write.

*goes off to find poor substitute for magically described cornflakes*
Mukta Raut said…
you in mumbai, no? come home then. i have a big, big, BIG packet of corn flakes. :-) I mean it. Come over.
Ramit Grover said…
So what did you make in this?

Not the milk.

Not the strawberries.

Not the figs.

Darn it.

I'll never get it.
Mukta Raut said…
aha! I put them all together and it made it tasty! :-))
Ashish Shakya said…
Ah that's very generous of you :)

Yes, I'm in Mumbai. Navi Mumbai, actually, which is/was also home for you, right?

I'm not sure how you feel about meeting people from the virtual world, but I've recently started 'tweeting' and have met a lot of fun people. I'd like to extend that circle, so if you're up for it sometime, do let me know.

Have a good Sunday!
Mukta Raut said…
Hey Ashish...cool...I'm in Navi Mumbai most weekends. Vashi actually - Sector 10. Yes. let's meet up. Mail me your no. Will contact you. I have lost my fone, so cant email you mine.

mukta.raut@gmail.com
Ramit Grover said…
*Scratching head*

Oh.
Ramit Grover said…
Hein???

Popular posts from this blog

First Impressions: How to Get Away with Murder (Netflix)

 I love courtroom dramas.  I love non-linear storytelling. I love thrillers. I love tender love stories that embellish such series of grit, grime, and blood. This series delivers on all counts, dips somewhat after a couple of seasons, gets uneven and predictable (when it is less courtroom and more drama) and then finishes strong. The series centers around Annalise Keating who is a fierce, black criminal lawyer who also teaches a class in criminal law (which she calls 'How to Get Away with Murder'). As a teaching methodology, she gets her class to weigh in on her live cases. Part of her strategy also involves picking a handful of promising students and have them work in her 'lab' where they get to help her in strenuous arguments and civil suits, etc. The plot thickens, a murder happens, people get involved, incriminated, incarcerated, and dead. I found a couple of characters in this cast to be really unlikeable - Michaela, Laurel, and Bonnie. After the first couple of se

That kind of a day, that kind of a thought

 It was Eid and Ekadashi today. Thus far, I have managed to keep the fast for Ekadashi. But we still have 2 hours to go so...let's see. I had this urge to go to a temple. There is a small one near my house. Today it was filled with people singing keertans. So I went to the  Iskcon. I like the temple. It's so big and bustling. It's organised and musical.  But today was very crowded. Usually I go to temples and do a quick pranaam without offering flowers or fruits. But I felt like buying a thali. I got one with some fruits, tulsi leaves and a single marigold flower that lay there like a fully energized petaled sun. There was a long queue and I was already feeling stressed in the pit of my stomach. But the line kept moving and just like that, I had my darshan and I got done.  I came out and thought of getting a flower for the pooja room in my home. I bought a lotus. The florist fluffed out the petals and it looked like a sweet little bird.  I caught an auto back and as is my n

A very bad mood

 I have been trying to sleep for a while but have not been able to. I am in a very bad mood. Turns out I am very averse to change. Things are crap.  Deep breaths are not helping. I am feeling very trapped. The anger and irritation is quite intense. Let me take a few moments to just quietly watch myself.  Works