Skip to main content

Thought for a few days

One evening at Bembos, over Argentinean burgers and black coffee, a friend postulated on the sundry failure of relationships. She believes that people are too impatient and immature to actually invest time and energy into something. From professional initiatives to health resolutions to personal choices, they expect instant results. They can’t focus on a bigger vision, so they feel slighted by every little thing that doesn’t go their way. They opt out too quickly. It’s a fact of life that things change with time, but no-one’s willing to give the time.

“They are just so keen to move on”, she said. “It’s sad, really…nothing matters…people just move on.”

Now, given my experiences, I too have wondered about this – whether I opt out of things too quickly or whether I stay stuck in them longer than is healthy.

But the way I see it, the problem is definitely not moving on. If anything, I think that people do not move on. They stay stuck. And that is the problem.

Like, if you have not got attention and love as a child, you may expect it out of every relationship you have. And because that relationship is bearing the cross of unforeseen or unknown expectations, it breaks. There’s so much pressure but you don’t know where that pressure is coming from.

A person, I believe, lives according to a memory legacy map. If one has had a good experience regarding something, he or she will go ahead and repeat the task. If someone has had a bad go at something, he or she will constantly second-guess that option. The person will constantly be looking for evidence of a situation being ‘too good to be true.’

Also, to truly move on, one needs to forgive – every thing, every one. And for me, at least, that is the toughest thing. I may probably go from one experience to another, giving the impression that I am this phenomenally resilient person, but in the back of my mind, I’m always thinking of proving a point to those who slighted me. (Or those who I think did that.)

I spent 3 years winning moot courts to prove an elocution teacher wrong. One time, she’d told me I couldn’t elocute because I lisped. I stopped entering elocution competitions after that. But there was a resurgence of vendetta in law college, and it turned out that I wasn’t half-bad. So, six years later, there were prizes and there were moments of ‘Who’s speaking well now?’ and there was no elocution teacher to respond to the vindication. She had moved on, I hadn’t.

Moving on involves making peace. It entails disassociation from whatever happened. It requires taking responsibility without accepting blame. It means being truly truly being able to give another experience a fair chance.

It requires so much more than simply getting out of one thing and getting into another.

Our problem is that we move on too quickly? I don’t think so. Our problem is that we don’t move on soon enough.

Comments

Ajeya said…
I agree. Most of us are stuck in the past. We usually have way too much baggage.
Unmana said…
How true. This struck a chord with me.
Anonymous said…
yes...moving on is something we talk of and tell others to do...

but oursleves....we don't...
Mukta Raut said…
hi ajeya,

true..we do...but hopefully, over time we learn how to let go..

Unmana,

:-)

Anon,

I don't know about that...i guess, everybody does try to move on...for some, its easier than others. But its not like others don't try...
Anonymous said…
very nice post mukta, personally i think, it is neither, that we move on too quickly/not soon enough. truth lies someplace down the middle.
Leziblogger said…
Aha!

For me, this is one of your 'Top 5'posts!
Mukta Raut said…
Hi kshop,

You're right....

HALLO lezi!

How are you? I guess, now you'll like all things small, eh? so sweet! do send pictures of the baby...
Leziblogger said…
yup, God (comes) In Small Things!!:-)

btw, some pictures on the blog!
I scribble here said…
ur post makes a lot of sense.. specially for someone who is yet to move on.. but i dont think this is a choice one can make., it either happens or doesnt.. there's something i really want to let go of, but to no avail..
woof! heavy stuff.. but well written :)
Satandit said…
~~Hey hey hey...what a post..well written,n fully agreed to...you do write well...I also feel that it is all in our minds,we feel that we cant move on so we dont...Having said that,moving on is not hard,but its not easy either~~
Anita said…
Interesting post. I think you move on slowly when you have invested a lot of personal energy into something. and you move on fast lest you reach the stage of having to move on fast.
Mister Crowley said…
heh...just re-read this and saw the bit on mooting...the few I went for, were solely to enjaai college-sponsored trip :D
Mukta Raut said…
Hi scribble, satandit, anita...
Strange as it may sound, I agree with you all...However, scribble, no re...I don't think one is fated to either move on or not...it does happen in time. But perhaps, as you pointed out, that time could span a life...so...

Hey crowley,
I went to a pretty low-brow law college here..so we pretty much had to pay our way to the moots.
:-)
Anonymous said…
While, I agree with what you say; I think your friend meant, wishing things away or running away from situations. That kind of a solution does not resolve the situation, just pushes it away.

Unfortunately / fortunately, I think, both of you are right.
Anonymous said…
acha laga post padh ke. at least one good thing for today !! :)

Popular posts from this blog

First Impressions: How to Get Away with Murder (Netflix)

 I love courtroom dramas.  I love non-linear storytelling. I love thrillers. I love tender love stories that embellish such series of grit, grime, and blood. This series delivers on all counts, dips somewhat after a couple of seasons, gets uneven and predictable (when it is less courtroom and more drama) and then finishes strong. The series centers around Annalise Keating who is a fierce, black criminal lawyer who also teaches a class in criminal law (which she calls 'How to Get Away with Murder'). As a teaching methodology, she gets her class to weigh in on her live cases. Part of her strategy also involves picking a handful of promising students and have them work in her 'lab' where they get to help her in strenuous arguments and civil suits, etc. The plot thickens, a murder happens, people get involved, incriminated, incarcerated, and dead. I found a couple of characters in this cast to be really unlikeable - Michaela, Laurel, and Bonnie. After the first couple of se

That kind of a day, that kind of a thought

 It was Eid and Ekadashi today. Thus far, I have managed to keep the fast for Ekadashi. But we still have 2 hours to go so...let's see. I had this urge to go to a temple. There is a small one near my house. Today it was filled with people singing keertans. So I went to the  Iskcon. I like the temple. It's so big and bustling. It's organised and musical.  But today was very crowded. Usually I go to temples and do a quick pranaam without offering flowers or fruits. But I felt like buying a thali. I got one with some fruits, tulsi leaves and a single marigold flower that lay there like a fully energized petaled sun. There was a long queue and I was already feeling stressed in the pit of my stomach. But the line kept moving and just like that, I had my darshan and I got done.  I came out and thought of getting a flower for the pooja room in my home. I bought a lotus. The florist fluffed out the petals and it looked like a sweet little bird.  I caught an auto back and as is my n

A very bad mood

 I have been trying to sleep for a while but have not been able to. I am in a very bad mood. Turns out I am very averse to change. Things are crap.  Deep breaths are not helping. I am feeling very trapped. The anger and irritation is quite intense. Let me take a few moments to just quietly watch myself.  Works